Thursday 12 February 2015

Get to know: Daphne Carnegy


      We have officially started working on this year's events so we are working as hard as ever to get these interviews published so that you will get to know us better before our first exhibitions and the very important Open House Weekends. This week we chat to Daphne Carnegy who creates beautiful ceramics.




1.       What was the first piece of art you remember making?
Depends what you call art!  When I was growing up I loved drawing, and, like many others, I made pinch pots at school.  I read French at university and then got a job in publishing in London.  During this time, I started going to pottery evening classes and got completely hooked on making coil pots.  I had never considered ceramics as a possible career until I went to live in France and was offered a place as an apprentice to a potter in Burgundy.  After that there was no turning back!



       

2.       If you were an animal, what would you be?
A dog (with a devoted owner!)
  

3.       An indulgence
Campari soda
        

4.       When making art, what is your biggest mind block?
Physically getting started – I tend to procrastinate by finding a myriad other things to do!


5.       Favourite place in East Finchley? 
The Islington and St Pancras Cemetery.  It is like a vast nature reserve, quite wild in parts, with many interesting birds and of course foxes.  I walk my dog there most mornings and it is a quiet time for reflection and gathering my thoughts for the day ahead.


6.       What inspires you to make more art?
Drawing plants and looking at art generally.  Museums and exhibitions are always stimulating in some way. I am also inspired by earliest examples of tin-glazed earthenware (eg: Islamic, Spanish) before designs became too refined and sophisticated.
        

7.       How did you get involved in the East Finchley Open?
I was a member from the outset.  It seemed like a good idea to get to know other local artists and makers.
            
8.       What is your fondest memory of London?
Walking along Bankside and the docks long before the whole area was developed.  It was very atmospheric and you could smell the spices.






9.       What are you doing at the moment?
Designing tiles for ‘The Crafted City’ which will be part of London Craft Week in May 2015


10.   Where in Social Media can people find you? (Facebook, twitter..)
I am on Facebook and my website is www.daphnecarnegy.com


Our next blog post will be a bit different as it will be about our famous Open Houses and what you can expect this year from us. Stay tuned!!


No comments:

Post a Comment