Sunday 1 February 2015

Get to Know: Caitlin Smail



Today's turn goes to Caitlin Smail who not only paints but is also an amazing photographer!

Picture


1. What was the first piece of art you remember making?

My father was creative director of an ad agency in the 60s. As a child I remember lying on the floor of his office with a seemingly enormous A2 pad of paper and big fat 'magic markers' which I thought smelled wonderful. I created fantasy stories and characters that would keep me amused for hours. I would get completely lost in the experience... I discovered the joys of creativity and imagination (and of course the intoxicating effects of magic markers).

2.   If you were an animal, what would you be? 

I've always envied my cat... she seems to have the right idea when it comes to the good life. Asleep most of the day, lazing in the sun - then out on the town for a wild night life after dark.

3.  An indulgence

As someone who is a bit obsessed by food, it would have to be a really good vanilla ice cream and an expresso... it's a perfect combination of contrasts: white and black, cold and hot, sweet and bitter (mmm... total bliss)
 4. When making art, what is your biggest mind block?

Starting a new project is always difficult. I tend to prevaricate and find excuses not to go into the studio (the washing up needs doing). However, once I get going the washing up can pile up for as long as it likes.

5. Favourite place in East Finchley? 

The Phoenix Cinema... how did we survive without it for all those months of refurbishment? I finally became a member recently and now try and go every week.

6. What inspires you to make more art?

Other people's art. If I am every in need of inspiration, a quick trip to the Tate will sort me out. I come back brimming with ideas.

7. How did you get involved in the East Finchley Open?

When I moved into the area 5 years ago I didn't know anyone, so one of the first things I did was to put myself on the waiting list for membership of the EFO. It finally came through in 2013. It's been a great way to connect with other artists and keep in touch with what's going on artistically in the area.

8.  What is your fondest memory of London?

Too many to mention... I've lived here since 1961!

9. What are you doing at the moment?

Planning 2 upcoming exhibitions of art therapy work (what I do when I am not being an artist). All members are welcome at the private view on 20th Feb at the Tavistock Artspace in Hampstead.

10. Where in Social Media can people find you? (Facebook, twitter..)

Twitter - @arttherapy4all
Facebook - The art therapy agency

No comments:

Post a Comment