Sunday 22 February 2015

Get To Know: Christine Watson!



This week we interview the lovely Christine Watson who has been with us at the EFO since the very beginning!! 






 1.       What was the first piece of art you remember making?
 Although I have always drawn and painted as long as I can remember my clearest memories of creating artworks was in my RE lessons where we had to make a series of pictures illustrating episodes from the Bible. I was especially proud of my depiction of St Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus. My teacher Mrs Thornley praised it highly but added that although I was good a drawing I was certainly not a genius - a baffling comment as at the age of nine I had never really reflected on my ability one way or the other!
       




        2.   If you were an animal, what would you be?
 Probably all three of my cats who live life to the full in very different ways but totally on their own terms.
  

        3.  An indulgence
 Swimming in the sea at the beach at Marathias near Neapolis in the very southern Peloponnese. Beautiful warm, clear water shared only with a few locals - the madding crowd have yet to spoil it with their noise and clutter!
        

        4. When making art, what is your biggest mind block?
 Having worked as a professional artist for over 30 years the concept of mind block is irrelevant and I have learnt to work through the bad times in order to create the good ones. Waiting for the muse to arrive is not an option and I have to work to a strict routine much as I would in any job.




       5. Favourite place in East Finchley? 
 It has to be the Phoenix Cinema! Before we moved to East Finchley we used to go to the Phoenix very frequently on the 102 bus from Temple Fortune and in the end it seemed simpler to move house in 1989. We've been members for years and cherish the wide and varied programme ranging from Led Zepplins Celebration to All is Lost to Whiplash.





       6. What inspires you to make more art?
 A quest for perfection! If I ever reach the stage when I feel I have created the perfect picture I'll know it's time to give up  - but as only a handful of us achieve that goal I know I'll be painting hard for ever. Each painting I make is a rehearsal for the next!
        

     7. How did you get involved in the East Finchley Open?
I was involved from the outset and was one of the exhibitors at the famous concert given by Sarah Downs and her ensemble at the church in Durham Road.

            
       8.  What is your fondest memory of London?
It has to be the Olympics - such an amazing summer filled with the feel good factor and the excitement that London actually got it right!


       9. What are you doing at the moment?
 Painting hard, etching even harder and teaching harder still. I have plans but am keeping those under wraps for the time being!


      10. Where in Social Media can people find you? (Facebook, twitter..)
Twitter @cswsc96
Facebook Christine Watson and Christine Watson's Art Classes - shows much of the brilliant work done by my hardworking students!

No comments:

Post a Comment